Barakah Contract Win for Pentair Valves & Controls
Traditionally associated with oil exports, the United Arab Emirates is exploring nuclear power generation to meet needs for electrical power, which is expected to grow 5.5 from GWe in 2011 to over 40 GWe in 2020. The Barakah site is the first nuclear power plant in the UAE, and results from a partnership between the Emirates Nuclear Energy Corporation (ENEC) and the Korea Electric Power Cooperation (KEPCO). The site is set to house four APR-1400 third generation reactors built according to a modified Korean design, and is expected to be fully operational by 2017. The units will have a generation capacity of 1.4 GW each, supplying power to a significant proportion of the UAE.
Doosan Heavy Industries, one of the subcontractors used by KEPCO to supply turbines and generators to the project, specified Sempell PSRV systems in compact design type VS99 for use in the pressurized water reactors (PWR) at the Barakah plant. The PSRV systems are specially designed and engineered for the Korean reactor designs, and have been subject to four years’ development, manufacturing and testing to ensure their suitability and performance. Sempell’s PSRV systems meet ASME III and QME 1 approvals, providing the highest safety assurances. The pilotoperated PSRV systems for application within the primary circuit protect it from extensive pressure increases. These form part of the four compact valve stations welded directly on the top of the pressurizer in a horizontal position in each reactor unit to achieve optimized pipe conduction.
Jürgen Pick, director, product management, nuclear power, Pentair Valves & Controls, comments, “We’re delighted to be supplying our PSRV systems to the UAE’s first ever nuclear power plant. We feel that this specification demonstrates our proven track record for delivering safe, reliable equipment to nuclear applications. By tailoring our designs and offering an ASME NV-Stamp approved valve system, we are able to meet the stringent requirements of the project. We’re looking forward to continuing our successful partnership with Doosan, and to delivering great service and support in the future.”
Pentair Valves and Controls Ltd
Tel: 01858 467 281
Published in Valve User Magazine Issue 26
- New Tyco 5100 Series Tyco Flow Control Introduces New Series 5100 Pilot-Operated Pressure Relief Valve
- The fuel of the future - Coal?
- Pressure regulators developed for subsea use Pressure Tech
- Pentair Valves & Controls launches new pilot-operated pressure relief valve for high temperature environments
- Econosto UK show Taylor Safety Relief Valves at Offshore Europe
- Flowstar's New Seawater and Stainless Steel Reducing Valves
- Flowstar Now Carry £500k of Nabic with Online Visibility of Stock
- Emerson Introduces Wirelessly-Monitored Storage Tank Safety Valves
- NABIC – Offers a Comprehensive Range of Safety & Control Valves
- Leengate Valves Welcomes New Products from ZETKAMA