New ABB App Highlights Potential Compressed Air Energy Savings
New ABB app points the way to compressed air savings in valve control applications.
Based on the amount of compressed air consumed by conventional positioners, the app shows how using the latest smart positioner technology can help operators to dramatically reduce their energy costs.
Easy-to-follow instructions show the user exactly what parameters are needed to calculate any potential savings. The user is prompted to enter the number of pneumatic positioners on site, air cost per standard cubic foot and the percentage of time spent at a steady state to calculate the user's current compressed air energy costs. These costs are then compared to the potential savings that could be achieved using ABB's TZID-C and EDP300 intelligent positioners, where compressed air is only consumed when required.
“At present there is no other app on the market that can show positioner users the significant energy savings that can be made by using smarter technology,” says Jo Kirkbride, ABB’s Product Manager UK & Ireland, Actuator & Positioning Products. “Conventional valve positioners can typically consume compressed air even when not in operation, many sites could be racking up thousands of pounds in wasted energy.”
Consider a positioner which spends 50% of its operational time in a steady state position (steady set point). Assuming a compressed air cost of 1p per scfm (standard cubic feet per minute), the cost of this wasted energy, in the worst case, can be as much as £2,106.78 per year. Replacing this positioner with a smart positioner could save between £500 and £1,200 per year per positioner through reduced compressed air consumption.
The app also allows you to measure savings in different currencies, including Sterling, Euros and US Dollars. To download the ABB app, please visit the Apple App store ad search for “ABB Compressed Air Calculator”.
Tel: +44 (0)870 600 6122
Published in Valve User Magazine Issue 37
- Dual 3-Ported, 2-Position Valve Provides ‘Two Valves in One’ for a Compact and Cost Effective Solution
- Presenting the NAMUR Mount Hygienic Valve for EExme and EExd applications. What Wash Down Applications
- ASCO NUMATICS 553
- ASCO Numatics introduces air operated valves
- Valveforce win the balloon race
- K Controls extend their range of valve position monitors for use in hazardous atmospheres and hostile environments
- Unique Signalling Unit Indicates more than Open or Closed
- Aquaflow supply air valves into Dubai
- K Controls 007 K4-20 WirelessHART® Valve Position Monitor
- K Controls extends its range of sub-sea valve position monitors