INDUSTRIAL VALVES - REQUIREMENTS AND TESTING FOR METALLIC VALVES AS PRESSURE ACCESSORIES - NEW STANDARD ISSUED - BS EN 16668:2016
What is it?
This European standard applies to metallic valves as pressure accessories for industrial applications with a maximum allowable pressure PS greater than 0,5 bar in accordance with the Pressure Equipment Directive 2014/68/EU and specifies minimum requirements applicable to design, manufacture, testing, materials and documentation. All relevant essential safety requirements of the Pressure Equipment Directive 2014/68/EU applicable to valves have been taken into consideration and are addressed in this standard.
Why is it important?
THIS IS A MUST HAVE DOCUMENT FOR ALL MEMBER COMPANIES. The standard will be referenced in new and revised EN valve product standards. An example is the proposed revision to BS EN 593 General Purpose Butterfly Valves. The Annex ZA is extensive and complying with BS EN 16668 will address all the essential safety requirements of the PED 2014/68/EU as they apply to valves. An Overview document provides more information about the content and has been prepared by Ron Strang and Martin Greenhalgh. Please send any comments or questions to martin.greenhalgh@ntlworld. com and email@example.com
This is a new standard (see article, page 16). This standard is available from BSi Publications at a price of £220.00 (members price £110.00). Those people that are members of PSE/18 or PSE/18/1 committees are able to download the standard for free.
Published in Valve User Magazine Issue 38
- RoHS Directive 2011/65/EU: By BVAA’s Technical Consultant, Peter Churm
- CEN/TS 13547:2006 “Industrial valves – Copper alloy ball valves”: By BVAA’s Technical Consultant, Peter Churm
- EN 1983:2006 “Industrial valves - Steel ball valves”: By BVAA’s Technical Consultant, Peter Churm
- Fugitive Emissions Standards: Result of the NWIP ballot for the revision of ISO 15848-1 and ISO 15848-2 (2006)
- Steel valve casting NDE acceptance: By BVAA’s Technical Consultant, Peter Churm
- The Dangers of Industrial Gas Abuse: By BVAA’s Technical Consultant, Peter Churm
- Systematic Review of Standards in 2012: By BVAA’s Technical Consultant, Peter Churm
- BS EN 12266-1:2012
- Approval of Draft ISO/DIS 28921-1
- Metallic butterfly valves: ISO/DIS 10631 “Metallic butterfly valves for general purposes”