Mobile Hydrostatic Pressure Test Unit (HTU) for the Health & Safety Laboratory
The Health and Safety Laboratory (HSL) is one of the world's leading providers of health and safety solutions to industry, government and professional bodies.The main focus of HSL’s work is on understanding and reducing health and safety risks and offers health and safety research, expert advice, consultancy, specialist training and products. The HSL is based in a 22,000 m2, state of the art facility just outside Buxton in Derbyshire where HSL scientists are responsible for investigating the technical failures behind major accidents and to provide support for commercial organisations to ensure their products are safe and meet the latest health and safety regulations.
When the HSL wanted a hydrostatic pressure testing unit they came to Cat Pumps for the solution, Alan McDonald of the HSL explains:
“HSL own and operate a fleet of some 160 + pieces of equipment which are in scope of the pressure systems safety regulations (PSSR 2000). A significant requirement of the regulations are to carry out regular thorough inspections and examination which include a pressure test. Historically we would carry out these tests using cobbled together kit and a hand pump.
The HTU is a dedicated highly mobile hydraulic pressure testing solution that will allow us to carry out pressure tests in a safer and more timely manner. It's not an exaggeration to say that we will most likely recoup the cost of the unit within the first 8 or 9 uses, such was the amount of time and effort that went in to pressure testing doing it the 'old fashioned way' We also carry out experimental work that often requires significant hydraulic pressure – the HTU is the perfect solution for that type of work also“.
The HTU from Cat Pumps is a compact, mobile hydrostatic pressure test unit utilising the highly reliable and long lived Cat Pumps high pressure triplex plunger pumps. The HTU can be used for pressure testing of pipelines,delivery hoses, valves, heat exchangers and other pressure related components or systems up to 700 bar. Flow rates can be from 1.5 to 23 litres per min. The HTU comes complete on a 4 wheel trolley, baseplate with single or 3 phase electric motor, Cat Pump, 50 L water tank and integrated control box.
Cat Pumps is a specialist manufacturer and supplier of high pressure pumps. We have an unequalled reputation in the market for excellent quality, highly dependable products, long operating intervals between servicing and class-leading customer service. At Cat Pumps UK we hold extensive stocks of pumps, accessories and spare parts and we ship most customer orders same-day. We also design and build specialised variants and systems for individual customer’s requirements.
Tel: +44(0)1252 622031
Published in Valve User Magazine Issue 38
- ‘Jobsworths’ are Putting Lives at Risk
- Saint-Gobain PAM Awarded for Health & Safety
- Pressure Tech Selected for Innovation: TIS Hydraulics Selects Pressure Tech for Innovative System Enhancements
- ASCO Numatics Stainless Steel Filter Regulators
- Subsea pressure regulator for depths to 3000m/10000ft
- Maintaining a constant flow of beer: By Helmut Ambros and Uwe Daebel
- Versa 316 Stainless Steel Regulators
- Safety first: KKI attains OHSAS18001 and the coveted RoSPA silver award
- Emerson introduces high flow capacity tank blanketing regulators: The Fisher® T200 Series is designed to meet the latest tank blanketing sizing guidelines and customer needs for greater flow capacity
- Pneumatrol gains NEPSI approvals