Chinese pipeline selects Rotork ELB for increased line break safety
The Rotork Electronic Line Break (ELB) is a robust, selfcontained system that combines pipeline pressure monitoring with intelligent valve control
In one recent contract Rotork GO (Gas-over-Oil) pipeline actuators have been fitted with ELB units for line break monitoring and protection on remotely installed valves on a natural gas pipeline in China. The ELBs will enable the operator to monitor the running condition of the gas pipeline and the open/closed status of the valves. The immediate reporting of a line break by an ELB will enable the operator to swiftly close the appropriate valves and isolate the problem.
The ELB is housed in a compact, environmentally sealed and explosionproof housing that can be mounted on the actuator or remotely. Valve actuator control - selectable as fail close, fail open or stay put - is based on Rate-of-Drop (RoD) and Rate-of-Rise (RoR) of the pipeline pressure as well as high and low pressure limits. A remote Process Shut Down (PSD) input with the option to override all functions is also available to drive the valve to the predetermined fail position.
The ELB also provides an array of programmable alarm and alert indications and has an extensive range of features that can be configured to meet end users’ specific requirements. These include up to six remote inputs and four configurable solenoid outputs, Partial Stroke Testing (PST) and Modbus® network connectivity.
Setting menus displayed on the large HMI window are the focus for non-intrusive programming and commissioning using Rotork IQ intelligent electric actuation technology. In normal mode the LCD display indicates valve position. The same window also displays visual indication of status, alarms, event, trend and operation logs and diagnostic data.
Tel: +44(0)113 256 7922
Published in Valve User Magazine Issue 46
- Rotork IQPro electric valve actuators with the SIL (Safety Integrity Level) option
- Hydraulic actuators for South Atlantic floating production vessel
- Emerson’s Valve Automation Division
- Shafer Reliability ‘Proven’
- Rotork’s Golden Celebration
- AUMA secures major water project
- AUMA Actuators Ltd: Leading modular actuation technology for over 40 years
- Flowserve Delivers Valve Solutions: Complete controls assembly for Imerys tube presses
- New director will build on power station success story at Exeeco
- Rotork pipeline valve actuators in Kurdistan economic improvement project