Sophisticated SIPOS actuation supports Moscow heating scheme
Over thirty SIPOS actuators provide valve control technology for large pipelines up to 1000 mm in diameter which require fast closure to avoid water leakage, which would be catastrophic for Moscow city as, due to the climate, the water would rapidly turn to ice in winter. A proportion of the actuators are adopted for emergency closing and a number are used for precise flow control (modulating duty).
Key features significant in the adoption of SIPOS’ actuators for the district heating application were variable speed performance for precision modulation, soft start and stop capability and prevention of water hammer. As SIPOS 5 actuators have no start-up current, low-cost UPS systems can be utilised for power independency.
A redundant PROFIBUS interface enables integration of SIPOS’ actuators into the Moscow system’s modern Distributed Control System (DCS).
SIPOS’ local partner visited pumping stations to understand the challenges faced by the customer, the Moscow District Heating Company (MTK). Presentations were made and tests were carried out on the DCS. SIPOS’ service extended to engineer site visits to ensure satisfactory commissioning of the actuation technology.
SIPOS Aktorik – the manufacturer and global supplier of specialist and standard electric actuators.
Published in Valve User Magazine Issue 24
- Rotork introduces compact electric actuator solution for marine valve applications
- South East Water awards valve actuation framework agreement to Rotork
- New Flowserve Software Simplifies Actuator Configuration, Diagnostics: Flowserve Dashboard Allows Bluetooth® Connectivity with Limitorque MX and QX
- Pakscan digital valve control goes wireless
- Rotork’s new CVA, mounted to a Metso valve
- Australia’s ‘Droughtbuster’ scheme chooses Rotork
- Rotork completes major valve actuation upgrade at one of Severn Trent’s water treatment works
- Flooding proves the watertight case for Rotork Actuators
- An Introduction to Networks Control systems for valve actuators
- Rotork Intelligent valve actuation for solar power plants