Emerson Digital Valve Controller Helps Chinese Chemical Plant Save $40,000
SECCO is the largest integrated chemical facility in China. The complex includes a naptha-fed ethylene cracker and ten downstream derivative plants with thousands of control valves of different brands, types and sizes. Temperature fluctuations in the process caused high variability in the end product which, combined with vibration of the pipeline, often led to damage and replacement of the positioners on these valves. After SECCO engineers and Fisher valve specialists from Emerson discussed ways to address this problem, SECCO decided to replace the facility’s positioners with Emerson’s Fisher FIELDVUE DVC6200f digital valve positioner.
The DVC6200f offers linkage-less, non-contact position feedback to reduce vibration-induced problems as well as diagnostics and FOUNDATION ™ fieldbus communication to promptly alert operators of potential valve problems. The instrument is easily mountable onto any valve, which was especially important in SECCO’s case. In addition, achieving high process reliability and performance is possible because of the DVC6200f’s diagnostic capability to predict problems before they occur, allowing operators to take pre-emptive action to minimise process variability or avoid a plant shutdown.
After installation, operations in the facility were enhanced with better stability and control. Production efficiency improved, while waste and rework were reduced. Valve performance is more reliable, and uptime has increased because of less frequent valve failure and scheduled maintenance. SECCO has saved an estimated $40,000 annually by eliminating the frequent replacements of positioners a well as maintenance, labour and potential production loss.
Emerson Process Management (www.EmersonProcess.com), an Emerson business, is a leader in helping businesses automate their production, processing and distribution in the chemical, oil and gas, refining, pulp and paper, power, water and wastewater treatment, mining and metals, food and beverage, life sciences and other industries. The company combines superior products and technology with industry-specific engineering, consulting, project management and maintenance services. Its brands include PlantWeb™, Syncade ™, DeltaV™, Fisher®, Micro Motion®, Rosemount®, Daniel™, Ovation™ and AMS Suite.
Emerson Process Management
Tel: 0870 240 1978
Published in Valve User Magazine Issue 24
- Valve Solutions for Biofuels: by Jari Kirmanen, Product Manager Neles, Metso’s Automation Business Line
- Rotork Profibus actuators control the flow at Wessex Water’s
- Visibility For Switching Applications With New Neles Switchguard
- Flowserve Digital Positioner Introduces ValveSightTM DiagnosticsCapabilities to Intrinsically Safe Market
- Emerson Fisher® Receives Lloyd’s Approval
- New functionality and features for AUMA actuators
- Second Generation 007C Control Monitors from K Controls
- Emerson Extends The Fieldvue™ Digital Valve Controller Line
- Emerson Introduces Digital Valve Controller for Safety Instrumented Systems: Intelligent automatic partial stroke valve testing provides improved safety and reliability.
- Schischek launches explosion-proof controller for decentralised HVAC control structures