SFC’s Key Management System Ensures Safe Operation of Interlocks
SFC has designed a range of horizontal key cabinets to hold operational keys and ensure safe application under secure supervisory control. Each interlocked system has a dedicated, engraved tag location within the key cabinet to ensure total integrity and all keys are visually displayed inside the cabinet during periods of normal operation.
Once the initial key has been retrieved from the central key cabinet, an operator can begin the sequence of key transfer events that allows dangerous machinery and critical valves to be operated in a safe and predetermined way, eliminating human error.
To facilitate this, key cabinets should be located in a secure place, typically a control room. Initial keys are typically issued by the Permit Officer. Key cabinets have fully lockable doors to prevent unauthorised access.
Throughout the procedure, the control room has a clear indication of work in progress at any time; a transparent Perspex window provides visual key status. A ‘visual alert’ tag is revealed when the key is removed, providing details of the issued key, its designated location and a ‘work in progress’ signal. Smith Flow Control also offers a more advanced version of this key cabinet, which incorporates micro switch actuation to signal key movements.
Key cabinets vary in size, but utilise a new horizontal design which allows greater capacity and storage for up to 280 keys. SFC offers the units in a choice of carbon or stainless steel.
Smith Flow Control Ltd
Tel: +44 (0)1376 517 901
Published in Valve User Magazine Issue 27
- SmartKey+ Securely Manages Safety Interlock Keys in Real Time
- Valve-Kits – the Original Kits Specialists
- Advanced Valve Solutions, Start-Stop Operation Summary
- Valbruna U.K. Ltd Joins the BVAA Membership: Acciaierie Valbruna is a private company with 2,500 employees and an annual output of 200,000 tonnes of speciality steels.
- ABB Introduces Measurement Care Service Agreements for Process Plants: ABB creates new cost-effective set of instrumentation and analyser maintenance service agreements for process plants
- EnerMech Acquires Electrical & Instrumentation Specialist in Largest Deal to Date
- Bonomi (UK) Ltd Aids Customer Design with 3D Drawing Solution
- Anti-Cavitation Valve Trim Helps Improve Plant Availability and Safety
- The best metal butterfly valve lining for demanding media?
- Parker announces connectivity enhancements to its valve portfolio: Easy to configure Industrial Ethernet node expands connectivity options