Rotork Delivers Customised Solution for Challenging Subsea Applications
Rotork Gears has successfully completed an order from Fluitek Valves
The Rotork WGS range of quarter-turn gearboxes are designed for heavy-duty subsea applications and constructed with carefully chosen materials to offer the highest level of reliability in very harsh environments.
The customer specified that the model WGS550 gearboxes should be built with a special vertical input structure with a total height of 750mm, capable of sustaining 3,000Nm of bending moment force and a vertical axial load of 3,000N.
The design has been validated by Rotork Gears, using a Finite Element Model (FEM) software simulation that predicts how a model reacts to physical effects, followed by a Mechanical Advantage (MA) test on an in-house test rig to confirm the efficient performance of the design.
The gearboxes can operate the valve by using a Class 2 Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) or a removable handwheel used by a diver. To avoid damage to the valves the input torque is limited at 170Nm. For added security, special handwheels with calibrated Duplex stainless steel shear pins have been supplied and a highly visible operating data plate is attached next to the ROV bucket on each gearbox.
Completed valve and gearbox assemblies tests were performed in a hyperbaric chamber, simulating an external pressure of 27bar (around 1.8 times the required pressure).
Tel: +44 (0) 1225 733 200
Published in Valve User Magazine Issue 44
- Econosto UK at Process Engineering Live
- Econosto UK - 25 Years sterling service, much more in the pipeline
- Mastergear - Driving Industry
- Econosto UK to Stock Latest ECON Products: Econosto UK Ltd, which started life as Ball Valves UK in 1984 continues to grow in more ways than one.
- Heaps supply Ball Valves to ASME III + Seismic Qualification
- Flowserve Delivers Valve Solutions: Complete controls assembly for Imerys tube presses
- Bifold Innovate!
- Truflo Marine attends Laying Ceremony for 4th Astute Class Submarine
- Schuck Group awarded Holford contract
- Challenging application launches Rotork’s compact subsea gearbox solution