Record breaking ‘Long Jump’ flight for Rotork’s hot air balloon
Purchased as part of Rotork’s 50 year birthday celebrations in 2007, the balloon serves charitable functions and travels to balloon fiestas in the UK and Europe. Recently Rotork’s balloon team has won the ‘Long Jump’ award, an annual competition open to all comers to achieve the longest distance flight from anywhere to anywhere in the UK. The Rotork balloon beat twelve other teams to win the coveted ‘Long Jump’ trophy.
The balloon is piloted by Rotork Systems Engineer Mark Dunstan-Sewell, who on this occasion was co-piloted by Rotork’s Operations Director Alastair Spurr. Taking off from Jacobstowe in Devon, the balloon was in the air for six hours, completing 230 miles at a maximum height of 6250 feet before landing at Sutton Bridge in Cambridgeshire.
The landing, in a newly ploughed field, was the most potentially hazardous event in the adventure, the balloon basket ploughing its own 250 yard furrow before finally coming to a halt and enabling the two, by now slightly bruised, Rotork balloonists to be re-united with terra firma.
Published in Valve User Magazine Issue 15
- Truflo Marine retain IIP Accreditation
- PPE ExpandsPPE Completes Research, Manufacturing and Training Facilities Expansion
- AUMA become BVAA Members
- AUMA Actuators Ltd: Leading modular actuation technology for over 40 years
- AUMA - British Energy extends actuator agreement
- AUMA achieves second United Utilities award
- Anglian Water adoptspioneering AUMA training programme
- Ron Hague - Valve & Actuator Specialists: A company overview from new BVAA member Ron Hague Ltd
- Rotork successfully defends intellectual property rights in China: Autork guilty of copying and unfair competition
- Russian production of valves and accessories in 2008 -Figures and facts, analytical review