Leeds Valve help Jersey Go Green
The project will see the out-dated incinerator which gives off visible emissions being replaced with a new 10MW Energy from Waste incinerator which will produce electricity to run itself and power 10,000 homes.
As part of the project, JEC were commissioned to provide cooling water from the existing systems of La Collette power station. Leeds Valve, which is a world leader in the manufacture and supply of butterfly valves for niche applications, supplied JEC with a number of isolation valves to be installed in the existing 45 year old sea water culvert system so that the new cooling water system can be tapped off it.
To reduce system downtime and allow for interchangability each of the non-standard 1.5M (5ft), 2.2 tonne butterfly valves were manufactured to the original dimensions. Leeds Valve Technical Director George Burns said: “Our expertise in manufacturing non-standard butterfly valves for use in even the most challenging environments made Leeds Valve the ideal partner for JEC on this project. JEC needed valves to fit their existing 60" pipe work and the existing pits, so the valves had to be sized to exactly meet these dimensional constraints. Our great strength lies in our ability to supply competitively priced, custom-made butterfly valves that precisely meet requirements.”
The valves, which are thought to be the biggest on the island, are capable of shutting off a full-bore flow rate of 20,000m³/hour.
Each valve has been manufactured to meet the exacting requirements of this application. They have double flanged bodies in ASTM A126 Class B material, protected by a fully vulcanised rubber lining, which is machined to give optimum interference for low torque and extended wear life. The valve internals are in high-grade sea water resistant aluminium bronze.
The system has now been pressure tested and commissioned and is to provide cooling water to the Energy from Waste plant for the next 25 years.
Tel: 0113 252 5051
Published in Valve User Magazine Issue 17
- NEW COMPOSITE VALVE RANGE LAUNCHED BY TYCO FLOW CONTROL
- Bray Controls - Butterfly Valves and a whole lot more!
- Xomox® XLD Lined Butterfly Valves
- Six figure contract for Weir Valves & Controls UK Ltd.
- Hobbs Valve - It’s All About Lead Time
- Shipham Valves acquires the Advanced Valve Technologies composite valve product range
- KEYSTONE VALVES OFFER A COOL SOLUTION AT CHILL FACTORe
- NEW Keystone BREWSEAL SEAT FOR HYGIENIC VALVES
- Leeds Valve joins the Flow Group
- Unique New Ribbed Disc Design from Tomoe: - Improves Flow Rates of 700 series valves