Crane Viking Johnson Flow Control Solutions
Keeping Anglian water customers connected
The Hydrant Wizard isolates fire hydrants by inserting a small, balloon-like stopping bag into the ‘leg’ between the hydrant and the main which allows maintenance or replacement activities on the hydrant to take place without isolating supplies to customers, whilst the Through-Bore Hydrant provides unobstructed access to the network during normal use, enabling a range of further cost saving initiatives. These activities include isolating a section of water main in order to undertake maintenance, live monitoring of water flow, pressure and water quality, internal inspection using a camera, hydrophone or acoustic imaging to check whether the pipe is structurally sound and in good condition, maintenance including flushing and cleaning, and pinpointing the exact location of a leak while the main is still at full pressure.
The 6 month trial in Lincolnshire was undertaken with the aim of minimising the amount of customers who experienced water supply disruption and quality issues during mains bursts. The equipment achieved its aim and more; Anglian Water has reduced the number of unwanted calls they receive and increased customer satisfaction, but also benefitted from savings in excavation and re-instatement costs as well as minimised disruption to roads and pathways.
Both the Through-Bore Hydrant and Hydrant Wizard have been welcomed by the water industry, which are tasked with preserving water and enhancing services to customers. The Through-Bore Hydrant has even won the coveted SBWWI Water Dragons Award for Best Product Innovation in 2009.
Malcolm Holmes, Network Manager at Anglian Water said “The benefit of using this type of equipment is that fewer customers go without water when mains burst or we are doing planned maintenance. Our aim is to deliver a continuous supply of water, and finding alternative ways to manage this will help us to improve customer satisfaction.”
Anglian Water supplies water and wastewater services to more than 6 million domestic and business customers, through 80,000km of pipeline and 1248 water treatment plants. Almost 1.1 billion litres of water is supplied to the East of England every day and, as the driest region in the UK, the preservation of water is of paramount importance.
Both Viking Johnson and WASK are leading utilities brands of Crane Building Services & Utilities.
Crane Building Services & Utilities
Tel: 01473 277300
Published in Valve User Magazine Issue 20
- ITT Corporation to Acquire International Motion Control
- Norgren - Making customers more successful worldwide
- Bifold AXIS Manifold System Revolutionizes Valve Actuator Control
- Tungum - A Company Profile
- Saint-Gobain PAM supplies South West Water: Saint-Gobain PAM UK supplies South West Water with ductile pipes and fittings for new £2m pipeline serving Cranbrook New Town
- Saint-Gobain PAM UK to Offer-One Stop Shop: New joint sets allow Saint-Gobain PAM UK to offer-one stop shop for CESWI-compliant pipe solutions
- AlphaRadin Smart Wireless Valves
- Valve-Kits – the Original Kits Specialists
- Advanced Valve Solutions, Start-Stop Operation Summary
- UK’s First Open-access Downhole Test Facility Launched by BHR Group: New facility gives subsea equipment providers fast, onshore access to real-world testing.