eTecís Water Supply Butterfly Guard Valves
The resulting order was for the supply of new valves and spare parts to all three locations and UK based product training for twenty engineers to undertake installation and refurbishment at the three sites identified.
The valves had to meet AWWA specifications for material, allowable stresses and testing along with project corrosion and cathodic protection stipulations. The requirement was for 1300mm diameter Butterfly Valves acting as Guard Valves isolating supply line pumps working at 24 Bar plus a possible 4 Bar surge. To meet pressure test specifications the Body was subject to a 56 Bar hydrostatic test with a 42 Bar strength test applied to the Disc and a 28 Bar zero leakage seal test was also performed. Open and Closed locking provision and 4:1 Open / Close time variation was provided.
Drop tight sealing was achieved at the 28 Bar working pressure. Whilst the ductile iron castings could be engineered to meet this requirement engineering for the valves Disc and Gland sealing arrangements needed to be considered to achieve the test pressures and contract requirements.
To meet the corrosion specifications the valve was designed with the wetted surfaces of the Body and Disc ebonite coated and used Duplex stainless steel shafts. The ebonite correctly bonded to the Body bore provides a seat profile that can then be accurately machined to match the Disc swing. This eliminates the casting from contact with the corrosive water.
Cathodic protection design included non metallic parts replacing traditional stainless and sacrificial anodes. The valves were designed, cast and manufactured in the UK, with actuation of the valve courtesy of fellow BVAA members Opperman Mastergear and Rotork.
On completion eTec welcomed the customer to witness the valves pressure and performance testing. Following delivery eTec provided specific training for the engineers and managers who were to undertake the site work.
For bespoke valve requirements please see our website.
eTec Engineering Services Ltd
Tel: 01709 544111
Published in Valve User Magazine Issue 20
- NEW COMPOSITE VALVE RANGE LAUNCHED BY TYCO FLOW CONTROL
- Bray Controls - Butterfly Valves and a whole lot more!
- Xomoxģ XLD Lined Butterfly Valves
- Six figure contract for Weir Valves & Controls UK Ltd.
- Hobbs Valve - Itís All About Lead Time
- Shipham Valves acquires the Advanced Valve Technologies composite valve product range
- KEYSTONE VALVES OFFER A COOL SOLUTION AT CHILL FACTORe
- NEW Keystone BREWSEAL SEAT FOR HYGIENIC VALVES
- Leeds Valve joins the Flow Group
- Unique New Ribbed Disc Design from Tomoe: - Improves Flow Rates of 700 series valves