European Ball Valve Standards – Future Direction
What is it?: Currently there are three EN standards for ball valves
1. EN 1983:2013 Industrial valves - Steel ball valves
2. EN 13547:2013 Industrial valves – Copper alloy ball valves
3. EN ISO 17292:2015 Metal ball valves for petroleum, petrochemical and allied
industries (the basis for this standard was BS 5351)
EN 1983 and EN13547 are both Harmonised Standards under EU Directive 2014/68/EU and
are currently subject to the 5 Year Review Procedure. EN ISO 17292 is not Harmonised
Why is it important?: It is now CEN TC69 policy to have one product standard covering all
materials. Therefore it is expected that TC69 will create a new standard for Metallic Ball Valves and withdraw both EN1983 and EN13547. The new standard will include reference to the Harmonised Standard EN 6668:2016+A1:2018 Industrial valves - Requirements and testing for metallic valves as pressure accessories.
It is important that TC69 makes changes to EN standards that support the needs of valve
users. Manufacturers and Distributors will have knowledge of the needs of their customers.
Published in Valve User Magazine Issue 48
- Seals Meeting
- Repair Meeting
- BVAA’s Desktop Exhibition at MW Kellogg
- Dave Martin Honoured
- Flowserve Nuclear Success
- Hardide Coatings develops new coating for titanium
- New Product Announcements Application Stories Company Profiles Industry News: British Valve & Actuator Association
- BVAA ‘Regional Meetings’
- BVAA ‘Mad Hatters’: How far can you go wearing a BVAA Hat?
- Score Peterhead Desktop Exhibition