Polymer manufacturing turns to Rotork for improved control valve performance
Samos Polymers is a world-class manufacturer of polyurethane systems, producing a diverse range of cast elastomer prepolymers including spray polyurethane and polyureas, rigid and flexible foam systems, rubber binders and floor coatings.
The company wanted to automate the manually operated temperature control of water supplied to the condenser as part of the water/glycol separation process during the manufacture of polyester polyol. The existing temperature variation of only 1-2ºC resulted in an unacceptable level of wasted product, so the success of the project relied on the achievement of exceptionally accurate temperature control, within +/-0.1ºC. The application also called for full automation, operating from a 4-20mA control signal.
Rotork Australia proposed an all-electric control package, consisting of a V-port ball valve operated by a CVA actuator and, following a product demonstration, this package was selected as the ‘standout’ best option. With the equipment now installed, the CVA has successfully and autonomously operated with the sophisticated site control system to maintain the water temperature within the required parameters, delivering a tenfold improvement in performance. As a result, product waste during manufacture has been greatly reduced. The CVA is designed to provide precise and fully modulating valve operation, with repeatability and resolution performance within 0.1% of full scale. The actuator also features quick and easy non-intrusive setting and commissioning using wireless Bluetooth® communication technology, whilst an integral data-logger stores an extensive record of operational and maintenance related information, including valve torque profiles and dwell times.
The installation at Samos Polymers is another example from an increasing list of industries throughout the world that have adopted Rotork CVA control valve technology in their processes, ranging from mining to food manufacturing.
Rotork Process Controls
Tel: +44 (0) 1225 733200
Published in Valve User Magazine Issue 23
- Rotork introduces compact electric actuator solution for marine valve applications
- South East Water awards valve actuation framework agreement to Rotork
- New Flowserve Software Simplifies Actuator Configuration, Diagnostics: Flowserve Dashboard Allows Bluetooth® Connectivity with Limitorque MX and QX
- Pakscan digital valve control goes wireless
- Rotork’s new CVA, mounted to a Metso valve
- Australia’s ‘Droughtbuster’ scheme chooses Rotork
- Rotork completes major valve actuation upgrade at one of Severn Trent’s water treatment works
- Flooding proves the watertight case for Rotork Actuators
- An Introduction to Networks Control systems for valve actuators
- Rotork Intelligent valve actuation for solar power plants