Hot Spot FprEN 1591- 4: 2012
By BVAA’s Technical Consultant, Peter Churm
FprEN 1591-4: 2012 “Flanges and their joints — Part 4: Qualification of personnel competency in the assembly of the bolted connections of critical service pressurized systems”
This document (FprEN 1591-4:2012) has been prepared by Technical Committee CEN/TC 74 “Flanges and their joints” and is currently submitted to the Formal Vote. It will supersede CEN/TS 1591-4:2007. Changes to the CEN/TS 1591-4: 2007 document can be seen in the comments and observation sheets.
This European Standard is applicable to the bolting technicians, and their supervisors, the responsible engineers, who disassemble, assemble and tighten the bolted connections of whatever shape of critical service pressurised systems where the failure of a connection would endanger personnel, plant or the environment.
A route for achieving competency in the skills required to safely and successfully disassemble, assemble and tighten pressurised bolted joints of any shape to a design bolt load using documented work instructions, thereby establishing a joint capable of maintaining a leak-free status throughout its’ service life, is given in the document.
This European Standard provides a modular training syllabus and an assessment process that can be used to determine the competency of personnel who disassemble, assemble and tighten bolted connections, whatever their shape, fitted to pressurised equipment containing a medium at any combination of temperature and pressure.
Published in Valve User Magazine Issue 24
- RoHS Directive 2011/65/EU: By BVAA’s Technical Consultant, Peter Churm
- CEN/TS 13547:2006 “Industrial valves – Copper alloy ball valves”: By BVAA’s Technical Consultant, Peter Churm
- EN 1983:2006 “Industrial valves - Steel ball valves”: By BVAA’s Technical Consultant, Peter Churm
- Fugitive Emissions Standards: Result of the NWIP ballot for the revision of ISO 15848-1 and ISO 15848-2 (2006)
- Steel valve casting NDE acceptance: By BVAA’s Technical Consultant, Peter Churm
- The Dangers of Industrial Gas Abuse: By BVAA’s Technical Consultant, Peter Churm
- Systematic Review of Standards in 2012: By BVAA’s Technical Consultant, Peter Churm
- BS EN 12266-1:2012
- Approval of Draft ISO/DIS 28921-1
- Metallic butterfly valves: ISO/DIS 10631 “Metallic butterfly valves for general purposes”