Bestobell LNG highly commended in major international award
Her Royal Highness The Princess Royal presented the Seatrade Awards, the leading scheme for recognition of achievement and innovation within the international maritime community. It seeks to promote excellence in maritime standards, and to reward outstanding contribution to safety at sea and protection of the marine environment.
Bestobell LNG was highly commended for its innovative Float Level Isolation Valve (FLIV), which overcomes a number of safety and operational problems experienced with traditional gate valves used on the cryogenic storage tanks on LNG cargo carriers.
Bestobell LNG Director Andy Brown said, ‘Given that we supply equipment to just the LNG carriers, it is a real honour to have reached the final three of this prestigious award which relates to the whole maritime industry. It recognises the extensive research that has gone into the development of the FLIV.
‘This product has revolutionised safety and efficiency on Liquified Natural Gas cariers by completely eliminating the risk of cutting the tape of the secondary float level gauge fitted to each storage tank, and the enormous costs and disruption of recovering the float from the tank. It is also much simpler to operate than the previous solution, and only requires one man operation instead of two to take a level reading.
‘The commercial success of the FLIV suggests the judges were right to shortlist such a specialist product since Bestobell launched the FLIV at Gastech 2006, it has already received orders to supply the product to 37 new build LNGCs and shortly expects to receive the first orders for retrofit to the existing fleet.
The ceremony, which marked the 20th anniversary of the Seatrade Awards, was attended by over 350 members of the international maritime community. The judging panel of leading industry personalities was chaired by the International Maritime Organisations Secretary-General Efthimios Mitropoulos.
Bestobell LNG is a division of Flow Group Limited, which also includes Conflow, and BVAA members Shipham Valves, Bestobell Valves, Leeds Valve and John Mills Valves. For more information visit
www.bestobell-lng.com or www.flowgroup.co.uk
Published in Valve User Magazine Issue 6
- Who’s getting high on hydrogen?
- KEYSTONE VALVES OFFER A COOL SOLUTION AT CHILL FACTORe
- Flow Group Make waves
- The Bestobell Cryogenic Gate Valve
- Bestobell - World leaders in cryogenic valve design: Bestobell Cryogenic Emergency Shut Off Gate Valve
- China builds its first LNG plant…
- Adanac’s 1000th low temperature test
- Apollo Valves reappoint Adanac Valves as cryogenic modification specialists: Adanac receive their Approval Certificate from Apollo Valves
- Bestobell LNG Supplies First of Five Skaugen Multigas Carriers
- Emerson expands cryogenic valve testing: Emerson expands cryogenic valve testing to meet growing demand for LNG applications