Oil Field Contract Generates Innovative Rotork Actuator Solution
Rotork has received an order for 220 pneumatic actuators for the NASR Phase II Full Field Development Project in the UAE.
Awarded by Hyundai Heavy Industries, the order included spring-return pneumatic actuators to operate 30” and 36” Class 1500 ball valves, with the specification that the maximum actuator output torque at a design pressure of 9.4 bar should not be in excess of 90% of the valves’ maximum allowable stem torque (MAST).
Due to the huge force required to compress the spring, this requirement is beyond the performance limits of the standard range of Rotork GP pneumatic actuators. However, faced with this challenge, the Rotork Research & Development department successfully created an innovative and simple solution.
Rotork engineers added a second pneumatic cylinder, mounted between the GP scotch yoke centre body and the spring-return cylinder. Both cylinders are pressurised in the same direction at the same time, so one delivers torque for valve movement, satisfying the valve MAST requirement, whilst the other independently applies the torque to compress the spring.
The resulting actuator is the largest GP350 actuator built to-date, with a total length of 8.5 metres and weighing 19 tonnes.
Tel: 0113 256 7922
Published in Valve User Magazine Issue 43
- Rotork appoints UK distributor for Remote Control valve actuators
- Econosto UK at Process Engineering Live
- Econosto UK - 25 Years sterling service, much more in the pipeline
- Emerson Enters into Supplier Services Agreement with Fluor Corporation to Provide Automation and Control Solutions and Services.
- Flowserve MaxFlo 3 and NR Diaphragm Actuator Granted SIL 3 Certification
- Econosto UK to Stock Latest ECON Products: Econosto UK Ltd, which started life as Ball Valves UK in 1984 continues to grow in more ways than one.
- Rotork acquires Remote Control Sweden
- Heaps supply Ball Valves to ASME III + Seismic Qualification
- Emerson Process Management - Valve Automation 1 Force Driving All Valves...Everywhere!
- Tomoe Japan Secures Saudi Electric Company Shuaibah Contract in Partnership with Rotork