New Technology for Non-Contact Position Sensing
How does it work?
The technology’s fundamental principles are similar to those used by inductive proximity switches. In other words, a target’s position is detected using an inductive field without physical contact.
Rather than using traditional, wire coils, Zettlex’s technology uses printed circuits to generate absolute, analogue position measurement in rotary, linear, curvilinear, 2D or even 3D geometries.
The sensor’s antenna emits a low power field. The target object produces a characteristic electronic signature which is decoded to produce high accuracy position measurement. The result is output to the host control system in a variety of formats including 4-20mA (2 or 3 wire), 0-5V, SPI, RS485 etc.
Operation in Harsh Environments
The sensors are unaffected by the presence of liquids, moisture or dirt and can be coated in varnish or epoxy to enable long term immersion. Similarly, the sensors do not need precise alignment to measure accurately. Each sensor requires a small amount of electronics which can be displaced away from the sensing area – allowing sensor operation from -55° to 200° Celsius.
Typically, each sensor is just a few mm thick - although some examples have been produced which are less than the thickness of a piece of paper. The components within each sensor are low weight – making them ideally suited to high vibration environments. Once housed, the sensors can have been successfully tested to withstand shocks of up to 1000g. The printed forms can be positioned around a valve or actuator shaft in whatever format suits the host product.
The technology’s compact form and light weight have proved attractive to a number of manufacturers who use the technology to replace the more traditional, problematic potentiometers or bulky wire wound transducers. Several units have been produced for potentially explosive environments and carry ATEX approval.
Many of the sensors already produced by Zettlex can be programmed using on-board switches or a PC to provide position measurement with resolution of up to 24 bits (16 miliion points over full scale). Zettlex is a UK company, founded by engineers following a long and proud tradition of British innovation. The company has achieved an impressive range of design wins in the UK and are expanding their business to keep up with a growing list of customers who are realising the benefits of this exciting new technology.
Zettlex, Tel: 01223 874444
Published in Valve User Magazine Issue 11
- New ABB app highlights potential compressed air energy savings
- Valvekits is UK distributor for Centork positioners
- K Controls 007-100 Valve Position Monitors specified for use in FPSO ballast tanks
- KOSO Kent Introl celebrates 50th anniversary: Having started in 1967 as Introl Ltd, KOSO Kent Introl recently celebrated their 50th anniversary of the company.
- Industry is about to catch up with tomorrow…: If you are used to buying online at home (or not) but you’re not buying online for your company or project needs - WHY NOT?
- EnerMech Builds on Caspian Pedigree with £40 Million of Contracts Wins
- The Great British Stand!
- Albion to develop export business
- WSG Acquire Provalve: WSG UK Ltd, announce that earlier this year they acquired a majority share of Provalve Ltd.
- ValvTechnologies, Inc. Names Cliff Horsburgh Regional Director of Asia Pacific