Flowserve Cartridge Valves used in Thorp Nuclear Project
The MASFE – which replaced existing 10-year old equipment – plays an important role at Thorp, primarily processing medium active liquors, concentrating them down prior to further evaporation and vitrification into glass.
To ensure the valves can be maintained efficiently and safely, they are supplied within a control “bulge”, a pre-fabricated and tested extension of the cell. They were housed within a control cabinet and are operated by extension stems, varying in length between 600mm-900mm, that pass through steel shielding as well as the roof of the cabinet. With the valves installed at an angle, two universal joints are used on each stem to ensure alignment.
Space considerations, as well as ease of repair, were an important element in valve selection for the control cabinet and the Flowserve cartridge valves – four of which were automated by Norbro pneumatic actuators – were chosen due to their cost-effective, top-entry design and the lower torque requirement when compared with competing designs.
Flowserve Worcester top-entry cartridge valves were originally designed specifically for the nuclear industry. Compact and characterised by bubble-tight shut-off, they facilitate in-line maintenance, with all components other than the body removed in one assembly.
The F911 valves meet the fire testing requirement of ISO10497 and can be manufactured from virtually any wrought material, say Flowserve.
Flowserve Flow Control UK Ltd., Tel: 01444 314400
Published in Valve User Magazine Issue 13
- ElringKlinger Engineered Plastics add to their range of conforming materials
- Leengate Valves has seen further expansion in 2019: Leengate Valves has seen further expansion & revision in 2019. Continuing to maintain a strong chain of supply to the UK, despite uncertain times
- Leengate Valves Welcomes New Products from ZETKAMA
- Ultravalve Acquisition Strengthens Bonomi’s UK Operation
- Schoolhill Hydraulic Engineering Delivers Innovative Shuttle Valve Solution
- Multi-Million Pound Order Awarded
- AIV - Master Valve Distributors
- Kent Introl Unveils New Tensile/ Compression Testing Capability
- Enhancing Offshore Safety Through Valve Technology
- Orseal Provide Over 300 Cases of Valves to Iraqi Oil Fields