Rotork pipeline actuators in project to provide improved energy for Brazil
The inauguration of the 661 kilometre Urucu-Coari-Manaus gas pipeline portion of the project marks the beginning of operations for one of Brazil’s largest gas transportation projects. The significance of the project has been endorsed by the presence of the President of Brazil, Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, at the official opening of the pipeline at the Refinery Isaac Sabbá in November 2009.
The Refinery Isaac Sabbá is the first to receive natural gas from the Solimőes Basin, Brazil’s second largest reserve, estimated at 52.8 billion cubic metres. The new gas pipeline’s initial transportation capacity is 4.1 million cubic metres per day, which will rise to 5.5 million during 2010 when two intermediate compressor stations between Urucu and Coari come on-line. The pipeline is operated by Transpetro and, as with the company’s other pipelines, is designed for remote, automated control from the National Operational Control Center (CNCO) in Rio de Janiero.
In March 2010 President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva was also present at the opening ceremony for the Gasene (Southeast – Northeast Gas Pipeline Integration) section of this major project, together with Jose Sergio Gabrielli, the President of the Brazilian oil and gas company Petrobras.
More Rotork actuators are installed on this part of the project, including the 303 kilometre GASGAV pipeline, where actuators have been supplied by Rotork Fluid Systems representative Superquip Oil & Gas.
At the opening ceremony the President of Brazil stressed the importance of investment in research for the development of the country, adding: “This project is remarkable because it leads to the Northeast the same opportunity to use clean energy that the South has, in addition to developing local industry”
Rotork Fluid Systems, Tel: 01225 733200
Published in Valve User Magazine Issue 15
- New director will build on power station success story at Exeeco
- Rotork valve actuators specified for southwest China’s first major refinery
- Rotork pipeline actuators facilitate solar powered solution for remote valve control
- Attention to Detail and Communication is the Key to Successful Valve Actuation: Peter Everett, CEO of H.S. Pipequipment comments on valve actuation
- BVAA Chairman Bill Whiteley leaves Rotork after twelve years as Chief Executive Officer
- The Importance of Reliable Valve Torque Measurement for Predictive Maintenance
- Rotork IQPro electric valve actuators with the SIL (Safety Integrity Level) option
- Hydraulic actuators for South Atlantic floating production vessel
- Emerson’s Valve Automation Division
- Rotork’s Golden Celebration