Rotork’s CVA actuator facilitates improved control valve operation in the water treatment industries
The CVA range of linear and quarter-turn actuators offers an electrically powered process operator with high resolution and repeatability, programmable fail-to-position options, comprehensive data-logging and non-intrusive set-up and calibration in an IP68 watertight and explosionproof enclosure.
In the water and wastewater treatment industries there are many applications where the CVA actuator can assist the solution of the most demanding problems. In a typical example, a wastewater treatment facility in the USA uses a hydrothermal three-way needle valve to control the flow of steam into an anaerobic digester to maintain a constant temperature of 36.9˚C (98.5˚F), utilising a controlled steam temperature at approximately 93.3˚C (200˚F).
An important requirement of the application is that in the event of a power failure the control valve must shut off the supply of steam to prevent an adverse reaction with the bacteria that treats the sludge.
The operator’s first attempt at solving this control issue used an electric actuator with a spring to provide failsafe motion. Because of the constant compression and relaxing of the spring this was not a suitable solution as it resulted in constant loading in the motor. The CVA actuator proved to be the ideal solution. By utilising super capacitors instead of a spring to power the actuator to the desired position on loss of mains power, the CVA provides higher-duty cycles and increased accuracy.
In addition to meeting the primary requirements of the application, the CVA also provides the benefits of a built-in data logger, enabling the periodic download of information regarding the behaviour of the valve. This data is useful in managing the operation of the digester and facilitates the scheduling of planned maintenance.
Rotork Controls Ltd, Tel: +44 1225 733200
Published in Valve User Magazine Issue 15
- New director will build on power station success story at Exeeco
- Rotork introduces compact electric actuator solution for marine valve applications
- South East Water awards valve actuation framework agreement to Rotork
- New Flowserve Software Simplifies Actuator Configuration, Diagnostics: Flowserve Dashboard Allows Bluetooth® Connectivity with Limitorque MX and QX
- Rotork valve actuators specified for southwest China’s first major refinery
- Pakscan digital valve control goes wireless
- Attention to Detail and Communication is the Key to Successful Valve Actuation: Peter Everett, CEO of H.S. Pipequipment comments on valve actuation
- Rotork’s new CVA, mounted to a Metso valve
- BVAA Chairman Bill Whiteley leaves Rotork after twelve years as Chief Executive Officer
- Australia’s ‘Droughtbuster’ scheme chooses Rotork