Emerson launches Shafer™ SH Series
Emerson Process Management introduces the Shafer™ SH Series of gas-over-oil valve actuators. SH series actuators are ideally suited to automate valves used for gas transmission as well as at compressor stations, gathering plants, storage facilities, meter runs and many other applications. Designed for fifty years of operation, the actuator has a 15 year seal life and a ten year, industry-leading warranty.
The SH series actuator is operated by hydraulic oil, pressurised by the pipeline gas. Powering the actuator with oil prevents the internal corrosion associated with other actuator designs. The actuator is designed so that the gas is contained within two tanks, half filled with hydraulic oil. Contaminants and moisture in the gas settle to the bottom of the tank where they can be easily drained.
The actuators can be used for standard on/off service or as part of an Emergency Shutdown System (ESD). Three sizes of SH are available to suit DN 50 to 200 (2" to 8") valves with a torque range between 254 Nm and 2034 Nm. Torque is evenly applied across the whole range of movement, making the SH Series ideal for plug and blowdown valves. The compact actuator package is operated by solenoid valves which are factory piped, ready for operation. A switch box provides open/closed feedback to the operator.
The helical spline technology contained within the actuator does not cause stem side loading, which other designs can be prone to do. Stem side loading can cause premature packing or seal wear and leakage. The SH series is powered by pipeline gas in the pressure range of 27.5 bar to 103 bar. It is also possible to operate the actuator manually when required, for example during commissioning or in situations where pipeline pressure is not available.
Maintenance requirements are minimal; the drain valve in the tanks needs to be opened periodically to remove the contaminants and water that have settled out of the gas. This should normally only be necessary once a year.
Emerson Process Management, Tel: 0870 240 1978
Published in Valve User Magazine Issue 15
- New director will build on power station success story at Exeeco
- Rotork pipeline valve actuators in Kurdistan economic improvement project
- Rotork valve actuators specified for southwest China’s first major refinery
- Attention to Detail and Communication is the Key to Successful Valve Actuation: Peter Everett, CEO of H.S. Pipequipment comments on valve actuation
- BVAA Chairman Bill Whiteley leaves Rotork after twelve years as Chief Executive Officer
- The Importance of Reliable Valve Torque Measurement for Predictive Maintenance
- Rotork IQPro electric valve actuators with the SIL (Safety Integrity Level) option
- Hydraulic actuators for South Atlantic floating production vessel
- Emerson’s Valve Automation Division
- Shafer Reliability ‘Proven’