Rotork pipeline actuators facilitate solar powered solution for remote valve control
The Rotork actuators provide double-acting on-off control for Wenlen 12 inch ANSI Class 600 pipeline ball valves in six locations along the pipeline’s route through the wilderness. The self-contained Rotork EH actuators operate from a 24 Volt DC power supply, facilitating a solar powered solution that is efficient, environmentally friendly and economical, saving the potentially significant environmental harm and cost of installing mains power sources along the length of the pipeline.
The innovative Rotork EH actuator design comprises an integrated control module, a hydraulic manifold and a power unit consisting of a motor, hydraulic pump and reservoir. Protected by a waterproof and explosionproof enclosure, EH electronic functionality benefits from Rotork’s IQ intelligent electric actuation technology, providing configuration, diagnostics, fault indication and position indication by means of a digital visual display and non-intrusive, two-way infrared communication with a hand-held programmer. The actuators on the Puesto Hernandez-El Corcobo Norte Oil Pipeline are controlled and monitored by a SCADA system utilising the Modbus digital bus protocol.
Gabriel De Visnyey, Rotork Fluid Systems Regional Sales Manager for Latin America comments: "The combination of features inherent in the EH design makes it an ideal choice for remote pipeline valve actuation and facilitates the use of renewable energy sources such as solar power whenever possible, as illustrated by this project."
The Puesto Hernandez-El Corcobo Norte Oil Pipeline has been constructed by engineering contractor Arcan with procurement and construction contractor Skanska S.A. for Petroandina Resources, the Argentinian oil transportation company. The EH actuators were supplied and commissioned by Rotork’s agent in Argentina, Industrias Metalart S.A. and the solar powered power supplies were designed and manufactured by Solartec.
UK-based Koso Kent Introl is taking its innovative valve solutions to new markets worldwide – rising to the challenges of the most demanding service applications in the energy industry.
Published in Valve User Magazine Issue 8
- Major pipeline contract for Rotork heavy duty electro-hydraulic valve actuators
- Midland-ACS develops remote actuated valves to withstand the extreme environments of new BTC pipeline
- Midland-ACS products gain GOST approval
- Comid Announces Link Up with BLAC Inc.
- Solar powered actuators for slurry pipeline in the Chilean desert
- Rotork’s Sub-sea actuator is largest so far for Lucca
- Rotork’s Fast track performance
- Paladon Saves Power and Improves Reliability
- Rotork pipeline actuators in project to provide improved energy for Brazil
- Emerson Solutions for Underground Gas